- To protect your wall from being viewed by others including your friends, use the new version of Orkut. You may notice a “lock” sign after each post that is made by you. That is the privacy sign. Once you click “lock”, the communication would be visible to you and only the person to whom you have communicated.
- Recheck your privacy settings. Do not let others “find” you from the web. You can control this by reediting your privacy set up.
- If you wish to show your pictures to the world, make sure that you do not exhibit your private pictures. Create separate album for the public and separate album for your friends only.
- Use pseudo names if you need to protect your identity .
- Do not let others to handle your account.
- In your favorite community, use the words carefully. Remember, provoked men and women may see you as a perpetual ‘nuisance’.
- There will be men and women who may have ‘adult contents’ in their profiles. Do not try to befriend them to know why they have created such profiles unless you are seriously interested to fall in the trap. You may see requests from these profiles to befriend you. Besides saying “No”, you must also ignore and block them so that they do not disturb you in future. The profiles pages of these profiles will show you the options to ignore /block them on the left hand side.
- If you see your profile has been hacked or your pictures had been misused, do not try to hack the faulty profiles. Remember, it may not serve any purpose and it will anger the mischief monger more.
THIS IS A FORWARD FROM OUR SISTER BLOG @http://cybervictims.blogspot.com/
WE AT CCVC HAVE STARTED 2010 WITH A CAUSE.THE POPULAR SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITE ORKUT.COM IS BEING USED BY MANY TO CREATE FAKE PROFILES AND COMMUNITIES WHICH ARE DEFAMING , DEMEANING AND SOME TIMES CARRIES SEXUALLY EXPLICIT CONTENTS. THIS PARTICULAR ISSUE IS NOT RESPONDED WELL BY ORKUT. AS PER THE INDIAN LEGAL STANDARD, SUCH PROFILES AND COMMUNITIES ARE ILLEGAL. BUT UNFORTUNATELY SINCE ORKUT IS GUIDED NOT BY INDIAN LAWS BUT BY UNIVERSAL POLICY GUIDELINES OF ITS OWN (WHICH IS MADE ON THE BASIS OF US FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND EXPRESSION), MANY TIMES INNOCENT VICTIMS HAVE BEEN REFUSED ANY POSITIVE HELP. HENCE WE HAVE FILED AN ONLINE PETITION. THE URL IS http://www.petitiononline.com/ccvc123/petition.html. IF U HAPPEN TO READ THIS BLOG, PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION BOTH IN THIS LINK AS WELL AS IN CCVC’S WEBSITE. WE ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR KIND RESPONSE.